Happy Easter!

easter06
Here’s the cotton I dyed on Friday, being checked out by a Pink Lady chocolate bilby.  The aim was purple, fire-engine-red, and orange cotton yarn (Bendigo 8 ply, originally ‘snow’).  This was the first time I’d gotten around to dyeing cotton with fibre reactive dyes – my previous use of these dyes has been with Tencel.  I had bought a second violet dye from Kraft Kolour because I didn’t like the colour of the violet from Batik Oetoro.   Sadly, both violets are pretty much the same red-violet colour.  I hate red-violets but absolutely love blue-violets.  So the purple yarn had a second trip to the dye bath with some blue to make it a yummy blue-violet.  The red also had a second trip to the dye bath – I failed to put enough dye in the first time around, and it came out too pink – certainly not a fire engine!  A heavier dose of dye overcame that issue.  The third was meant to be orange.  It looked more orange when wet, but really it at the yellow end of yellow-orange.  Next time, more red dye needs to go in that mixture.  I didn’t bother revisiting the dye bath with that skein since the colour works just fine with the other colours.

Sorry, no pictures of the wool yet – it’s a yummy purple, but is not quite dry yet.  I’ve also had fun planting some bulbs in the garden, and cleaning the house.  And the bilby is now headless…

This entry was posted in Dyeing. Bookmark the permalink.