Yesterday afternoon I dyed the second two balls of Patons Patonyle I bought last April. This time I went with a 4 metre skein, which I wound on my warping board (above) on Wednesday and wetted out overnight. I went with two colours this time, hence the shorter skein, which was much easier to deal with.
Here’s the dyed skein, which dried overnight, seeing as it is so hot at the moment. I really love the colours the way they turned out, but I must work on dyeing the transitions between colours better – there are pale patches that I didn’t want.
And here’s the resultant dyed skein, rewound on the swift. I don’t know how I ever survived all the dyeing I’ve done without a swift. I wound both balls of Patonyle off together into the 4 metre skein, so I set up both the ball winder and the swift and wound off the two strands from the long skein into a ball and a short skein simultaneously. I could handle the 4 metre skein on my own, unlike the 8 metre skein last time that definitely required help! This yarn is destined to become a pair of Jaywalker socks. But I won’t be casting them on until the RPM socks are finished.
This is where the RPM socks are up to. After knitting a repeat an a half of the self-striping pattern, I discovered that the second ball had been wound in the opposite direction to the first ball such that the colour repeats are in the opposite order! I used both balls from the outside (I tend to use commercial balls from the outside, but balls off my ballwinder from the centre), and I checked and they are definitely the same dye lot. I’ve never come across this happening in self-patterning sock wool before – I assumed they always wound them the same way. It won’t matter since the spiral pattern makes it difficult to pick up (so I didn’t even bother starting the second sock at the same point in the dye pattern) and so it will be most obvious only on the sole. Still, it’s something to keep in mind in the future.