Sock Swag

The ‘mystery project’ was finally gifted today. It was a baby blanket I made for a work colleague who goes on maternity leave next week to have her second baby. I began this project before she knew if she was having a boy or girl (it’s a boy), so I decided to go with colours not typical for babies. The blanket was supposed to end up 80-90cm wide and 120cm long, but ended up narrower (70cm). I added an icord edging, mainly to hide all the ends that needed weaving in! If I was doing another, I’d skip the garter edge and just do the icord. But I don’t think I’ll make any more baby blankets for a long while – I was quite over this one before it was half done. It took about 15 weeks all up.



I presently have three active projects on the needles. I can’t be bothered with the River Rapids Socks right now, so they’re excluded. The “Not Calvert” cardigan is going nowhere fast at the moment because the rows are too long and boring. The Revontuli shawl looked like cat vomit. Yes, lace does typically look like cat vomit before blocking, but I had a feeling that this one was going to stay looking like cat vomit. The yarn is just not right for the pattern. I took a long look at it and decided to stop. I cast on the same yarn as a Swallowtail Shawl, and before I had knit very much, it was obvious it was good (two work colleagues admired it immediately, no one admired the cat vomit Revontuli). The Revontuli is not yet frogged as I will have to do so very carefully. I had problems when I started the pattern and already know my handspun yarn does not appreciate being frogged. I worry about the Swallowtail – there may be a yardage problem. We will see.

The third project is the Noro socks. I know I said it before, but I hate the colour. I hate the yarn too. It is too rough (I know it will soften with washing, but I have to knit with the stuff first), uneven, and just downright horrible. And the grey part of the colour repeat met in the middle of the sock. I could have changed the start of the heel and shifted some of the grey, but there is green on both sides of the grey, so they would have met instead. I decided to ‘go with the Noro’. I am surprised that they actually look nice when I put them on.


I am on the cuff of the first sock and will start the second immediately. I must do so, or I will be distracted by the pretty sock yarn that landed in my post office box over the last two days.


From left to right: Regia Kaffe Fassett Design Line in Landscape Canyon from Morris and Sons (I couldn’t make it to the sale so I ordered the yarn and some more needles online); Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Duchess; Dream in Color (DIC) Smooshy in Cloud Jungle and Cocoa Kiss and DIC Starry in Black Pearl all from Eat.Sleep.Knit. (And they included a little badge. Nice.) The mainly muted palette of most of these yarns is because I have lots of bright coloured socks already, but mainly only wear them with jeans – so not to work. These colours work better with my work attire. Some of my handknit socks are wearing out – the oldest (6 years old) and those made in Patonlyle, which is too soft and too prone to felting, in particular. So I felt very justified to buy some new sock yarn.

The Regia will become Jaywalkers and the DIC Smooshy Cloud Jungle are likely to become Leyburn Socks. I haven’t decided about the others yet. I have to finish with the Noro first.

This entry was posted in Knitting, Stash Enhancement. Bookmark the permalink.