End of Hols

I have spent the mid year break “doing” rather than “blogging”. It’s been a longer than anticipated blogging break due to a mid-term-2-cold followed by a end-of-term-eat-into-holidays-virus. I’ve only been close to 100% well for the last week.

On the knitting front, I finished the Noro socks.

The lightweight cardigan is still stuck and I’m contemplating frogging it as I’m hating knitting such a fine yarn into such a large garment. In the meantime, I picked up some Zara yarn in a sale and hastily cast on a different cardigan called “Basic Black”. Due to being ill and on the sofa for several weeks, this cardigan flew off the needles in record time – just a touch under two months. I made some modifications to the pattern – lengthening the body, raising the V neck to start higher, knitting the set-in sleeves top-down with short rows (very happy with that mod in particular) and adding a shawl collar. The shawl collar kicked my ass for a whole week. Having never knit one, I was making it up as I went along. When I figured it was done I cast off (about 400 sts) and blocked the cardigan. But the collar kept rolling back and standing up – not long enough. After consulting my knitting friends, I unpicked the cast off and added more depth to the collar. It has had another blocking this weekend, and all is better now. And I’m in love with Zara yarn.

There’s a little leftover Zara that is presently being turned into a Wurm hat.

The annual Guild open day was last week, and I did a little stash enhancement – BFL sock yarn from Wooldancer and a BFL braid from Waratah Fibres. It seems I was on a reds/BFL jive…

I have been slowly plodding away on the spinning too. I’ve been doing two projects – a natural grey merino and the cream wool/alpaca/silk I bought in Adelaide in 2008. Having filled three bobbins with the wool/alpaca/silk, I’ve spent the last couple of days plying it into 3 ply yarn – nearly 400 grams of it. There’s about 50 grams left to go, which I will probably chain ply off one bobbin to finish off. The plying workshop I did in January has paid off – I’m very happy with how this yarn has turned out. I haven’t decided what it will be yet.

Lastly, there is another pair of socks on the needles – the 9 to 5 sock pattern I used in 2007 that ended up as wristwarmers because of insufficient yardage. This time, I’m knitting them from a 130 gram skein of Yummy, so I’m fairly sure there won’t be a problem making the pair before running out.

I may have run out of holidays, but I haven’t run out of things to do.

This entry was posted in Knitting, Spinning, Stash Enhancement. Bookmark the permalink.